Tuesday, 1 January 2013

#4 Essential X-Men #39

UNSTOPPABLE


This was how the Fear Itself was first presented in the X-Men portion of the Marvel Universe. Fear Itself is a company wide cross over and described quite well by 'the Story so far' catch up at the start of this comic.
Sin, Daughter of the Red Skull, breaks into a Nazi stronghold and finds a mystical hammer. It grants her superhuman powers. Sin seeks out the Serpent, a sinister ancient being whose return has been anticipated by Odin, leader of the Norse gods. Odin commands the Asgardians to leave Earth. When Thor challenges him, a furious Odin strikes him down and orders his imprisonment. Sin leads a Nazi attack on the United States. An army appears wielding robotic war-suits, striking at several major cities. The serpent summons other hammers to Earth. The Hulk finds one and is transformed into Nul, breaker of worlds. He begins a path of destruction. The Juggernaut is also changed by a hammer and becomes Kuurth, Breaker of stone. (directly from the Story so far)
In this comic we see The Juggernaut, now known as Kuurth, march his way towards San Francisco, the current home of the X-Men. The X-Men deploy a multitude of plans in order to incapacitate Kuurth, from Magneto trying to stop Kuurth's armour with his magnetism powers, to Emma Frost invading his mind, and Avalanche literally removing the ground upon which Kuurth walks. Do I really need to say that none of this delays Kuurth much, let alone stops him. So the X-Men start to consider drastic options. They talk to Colossus' sister Magik, who takes them to the Crimson Cosmos to talk to Cyttorak (the Deity that originally made Marko Cain the Juggernaut). Cyttorak realises that his Avatar has betrayed him by taking the hammer. He then offers the powers of the Juggernaut to Magik. Colossus, being the good brother he is, takes her place, much to the dismay of his girlfriend Kitty, who had just become tangible again.

Summary over, now to the reviewing part :). I really loved this entire comic. The story left me wanting to find out what happens next issue (which is good as this particular story hasn't finished yet). Even the sub-plots, such as the Mayor of San Francisco sending an order to prepare for a military strike on the X-Men's headquarters, and the page dedicated to how Emma Frost deals with being forced out of Kuurth's mind, lead me to want to find out how everyone will be affected after the story has finished.

The art work in this story also really appealed to me. Greg Land, who did the pencils, really captured Kitty in a way that seems perfect to me. My only complaint is his style tends to change every now and then. Maybe this was done on purpose, to show different attitudes or paces of story, but for me it just made the story seem jumpy and unprofessional.

Ok that's the review part over. I thought I'd just add a little in just to make things clear. I know that I have referenced a lot of things here that normal comic readers won't understand so if there are any questions, please feel free to comment and I will do my best to answer :).

so TTFN, LL'n'P

Apollo

2 comments:

  1. A bit Marvel centerd George, where are all of the awesome DC comics?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a little Marvel centered, but that is mainly because Marvel stories are better XD. Plus I don't have any retailers in my area that stock DC unfortunately. I will be doing some DC reviews though don't worry, i'm just testing the water before I dive in, they shall be coming as soon as I get my hands on them, :) don't worry.

    ReplyDelete